Saturday, April 24, 2010

Artisan's of Glass "Spring Forward" Art Contest



Artisan's of Glass, a stained glass forum, which I am proud to be a member and moderator of is currently holding a contest for cold and hot glassers that are members with a required number of posts. There is certain criteria that needs to be met for both categories of glass art. I submitted my photo of my contest project today, the judging will be held after April 30th and wonderful prizes are to be awarded to the first two places of both categories I believe.

My entry was entitled "Katahdin Spring". Mt. Katahdin is well known as the Northern most end of the Apalachian Trail (which begins in Georgia) and is located in North Central Maine, in a state park by the name of Baxter State Park. One of the Governors of Maine, Percival Baxter, purchased 6,000 acres there at first and gave it to the people of our state with one stipulation, that it always be left forever wild. Katahdin is 5,268 feet high, not huge as mountain ranges go, but is the tallest mountain in our state. There are 200 trails located in Baxter State Park, and they are maintained each year by volunteers and 3 state park employees.

Some of the criteria I used in this project involves plating (which is applying separate pieces of glass to either the front or back (or both) sides of a panel) Plating is used frequently in stained glass to achieve color change or the folds of drapery (clothing)or shading in different portions of a window. The mountain reflection, sun and leaves of the birch are all plated areas. I also added a Non-glass feature, by using polished stones around the pond in the panel. There is some decorative soldering there, as well as the use of 14 ga copper wire for the birch tree branches.

I hope that you enjoy viewing it, as much as I enjoyed creating it.

No comments: